Subscribe to Answers
We positively establish how much home they wish to purchase, how much downpayment money they have, do they have a preferred lender, pre-qualification letter, and if so, how soon can their lender close escrow. Then if they ask for our lending partners' assistance, we give them at least three to choose from or to shop.
Diane M. Phillips Real...
Stephanie Leon | Miami...
Miami Lakes, FL
I ask general questions about income, savings for a downpayment and closing costs . That helps me do a quick assessment of whether we're even ready to start looking for homes.
I coach many of my Realtor referral partner to ask some very basic questions to make sure time is not being wasted.
Yes Diane, I have been working with a homebuilder and their sales rep request me to talk to the interested party/buyer and ask about their financing plus send them to the builders site for pre approval if they have not been approved. I don't try to prequalify them. It's nice to know a few details before spending a lot of time with the prospective buyer.
I let the lender qualify them first. Then I qualify the property based on what they feel comfortable paying not the pre-approval amount.
For instance I have a Buyer now who only wants to pay $1800 a month but the lender says they can qualify for $2200 a month.. So, I keep them within their comfort zone and only when they want to increase budget we do so...
Lenders are Lenders for a reason. I don't expect the lender to be showing and writing contracts to purchase so I don't try to play lender and qualify people.
I often get my clients raw and I ask if they are pre-approved and are working with a Realtor.
Leave it to the licensed professionals. Realtors asking pre-qualifying question open themselves up to liability.
I let the lender take care of getting the preapproval. I do not accept a prequalification.
I will ask.
Financial prequal? Lender
Buyer needs to present completed prequal before signing a Buyer Broker Agreement...
I would pre qualify them emotionally and let the lender do the financial.
Both. Mostly to assure they are ready clients. With some experience I can just look at them and able to tell if they are qualified. Ask a question like: "Are you working at FB or Aapl will tell me their income level.... I am right about 85% of time. I make a fool out of myself the other 15% time.
We ask general questions prior to sending them to the lender. It helps determine what direction to send them in.
I ask if they have been pre-approved with a lender, if not that should be the next step. Next? Start a relationship with a local Realtor.
When I speak with a buyer over the phone I ask pre-qualifing quesions. I also ask their price point & when they hope to move. I want to know if the have been pre-qualified or talked with a lender. Then I setup a buyer consult and have the lender at the consult.
Absolutely, I ask pre-qualifying questions. Not to qualify anyone, per se, but to know to which lender to refer them to.
I ask a series of questions to see if it is a valid buyer. I then have a good idea of whether there is hope and ask the buyer to see a lender.
Diane M. Phillips Realtor 443-286-4365 - I do ask them basic questions and want their pre-approval from any lender as soon as they can - before we see any home in most cases.
I always meet my clients before showing them any inventory. I describe the process and what they can expect along the way. During this informational meeting, I tell my clients the benefits of having a pre-qualifying letter from a lender before beginning their home search. I leave the pre-qualifying questions to the mortgage professionals.
I let my lending partner do what he does best ... qualifying people for loans and explaining their options. I only ask buyers if they are working with an agent and if they have met with a lender to get qualified to purchase a home. I do not actively work with buyers until they are pre-qualified.
Diane, I generally request buyers bring pre-qualifying letters from a lender.