Subscribe to Answers
Sounds like they may be on their own since they missed the deadline.
Stevens Point, WI
Daniel - In our area, the termite inspection is typically performed at the same time as the home inspection, and is required by any lender.
Anyway, to your question, I would talk to buyers agent and ask why they want the termite inspection now, then would discuss the issue with my seller client. You might also want to discuss options with your sellers based on the findings of the termite inspection - prior to agreeing to allow the inspection. What happens if they discover termites, and who will pay for remediation.
TENNESSEE HOME TEAM
"I'll have to check with my client. What is the cause for delay?"
Don't respond "OK" or "Not Ok" until you talk to YOUR client. In our area, even though our contracts state that this has to be done 10 business days after going UCT, it rarely is. It is usually ordered by the title company, but not received back until the week of close (so that the seller can avoid costs if the inspection, appraisal, or financing does not go through). Termite policies are usually required by lenders in our area so almost all homes have one that has to be transfered.
If it is similarlly specified in your contract, your seller has the right not to accept that time frame and to push them to have it done within the contract timelines. It may not be worth the fight.
Either way, don't respond on behalf of your seller until you know how your seller would like to proceed.
It is usually the seller's termite company that the policy is being transfered from. Maybe they can call and speed them up?
Little Rock, AR
All inspection are to be done during the inspection period. The buyer's agent is out of luck if something should arise.
Sorry this is out of the agreed time to inspect the home. You can inspect but we will not pay for termites if found. Thanks
It seems to me that this is just an issue that the buyer will need to deal with n their own after closing. 16 days is far beyond a slight adjustment or extension.
If conditions were met and contingencies were pulled, they have a form for that...It is to prevent what you are describing. Stay frosty here
Sounds strange to wait so long, but I would want to know the whole story, particularly why the concern over Termites now? Did some repairs red flag that?
Either way, the only response you can send the BA is that you will discuss with seller and let seller make the decision.
Although I feel your pain at this, I would have to speak to my seller, and at this point because we are an attorney state, I would have to speak to our attorney if contracts have been signed. I do not like to impede any reasonable request, and things do slip by. (Is it mandatory for their mortgage and they forgot?) If you refuse will the buyer think you are hiding something? In the scheme of things will saying no derail the process and is that worth it? Taking a hard nosed stand can often be a big problem in a deal.
Daniel Hayes In my State termite inspections are mandatory so it wouldn't be a big deal and would be expected.
my first question would be how did she get to your sellers without you being there? once that gets sorted out, then you can discuss with the attorney representing the seller if he will allow a material change to the purchase contract to be entered into. Then proceed with caution. Are you compensating on the net purchase price or the gross?
Sounds like you, the listing agent, is out of the loop. How did the buyers agent get that approval from the seller? I mean, the agreement for the repairs?
In our area the termite inspectin & potential repairs are separate from the home inspection repairs.